Data Engineering Architect
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Data and insights are the foundation for Coinbase to achieve its mission and execute on its strategy. The Data Science team strives to deliver timely and accurate metrics and insights to help us navigate Coinbase’s roadmap and measure milestones along the way. There are three main ways that we contribute to Coinbase’s long-term goal:
- Build robust and scalable data semantics and tooling with data engineering techniques and in-depth domain knowledge
- Serve as thought partners to functional teams and Coinbase executives; deliver actionable insights and analysis to empower decision-making in a timely manner
- Drive sustainable growth and business impact through advanced statistics, machine learning and quantitative finance methodology
This is an Individual Contributor (IC) role and will partner directly with Data Science, Data Platform and other Engineering functions to define and execute roadmaps, and build systems of intelligence. This will ultimately empower the team while also bringing forward technical innovation to spearhead critical operational and strategic decisions across all aspects of data at Coinbase
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Define and implement the long term technology strategy and innovations roadmaps across analytics, data engineering and data platforms
- Responsible for expanding and optimizing Coinbase data and data pipeline architecture, as well as improving data flow and collection for cross-functional teams
- Build and own the data science and analytics toolkits to improve the efficiency and drive toward self-service analytics across Coinbase
- Drive engineering excellence and lead craftsmanship in building, testing, and optimizing ETL/feature/metric pipelines
- Take ownership in data compliance, access control and data governance requirements
- Bridge analytics needs and data engineering requirements through proper data modeling
- Own and manage external data sources and vendors
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or a related technical discipline
- 7+ years of strong experience software development, data engineering, business intelligence, data science, or related field
- 5+ years of experience in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
- Experience in spinning up and managing business intelligence tools such as SuperSet, Looker, etc.
- Effective craftsmanship in building, testing, and optimizing ETL/feature/metric pipelines
- Advance working SQL knowledge, data warehouses, big data and object stores
- Strong knowledge of Python, Shell programming, Spark (Batch/Streaming), SparkSQL and PySpark
- Experience in data technologies (PostgresDB, Airflow, Kubernetes, Docker, Spark, pySpark, etc.)
- Proven success in communicating with end-users, technical teams, and senior management
Job #: P51410
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Something looks off?