Senior DevOps Engineer
VALR Company Information
VALR has built South Africa’s leading cryptocurrency platform serving over 280,000 customers. We are proud to offer a suite of products that are helping increase economic freedom and build a financial system that recognizes the oneness of humankind.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at VALR, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture where we:
- Default to a high degree of autonomy and ownership combined with positive energy and truth-seeking
- Embrace feedback
- Disrupt ourselves
- Expect sustained high performance
Second, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone, which we’re working to achieve with our suite of products that serve South Africans and eventually customers globally.
With the above in mind and our goals of disrupting the financial system and serving humanity, we require unique, dedicated and incredibly talented people to join the VALR family.
Senior DevOps Engineer
VALR is looking for experienced DevOps Engineers to improve our development, testing, and release processes allowing continuous delivery of our software to consumers. We highly value individuals with intellectual curiosity and openness. We collaborate across the organization, helping our engineers think big and take risks while building a culture of positive energy and truth-seeking. As a DevOps Engineer, you’ll build services that address challenges within our key orchestration program to reduce friction while protecting the security of digital assets.
What would you be doing?
- Partner with the VALR Infrastructure team to support and extend existing CI/CD frameworks
- Partner with security and compliance to build surveillance tooling into deployment pipelines
- Provide automation support to streamline operational support and operational workflows
- Partner with other engineering teams to streamline deployment, connectivity, security and compliance within supported infrastructure
- Create and manage cloud deployments
- Participate in our on-call rotation in order to support our GCP deployments and pipelines
What we look for in you?
- 5+ years experience supporting network infrastructure
- 3+ years experience automating cloud infrastructure
- Comfortable working with Linux and scripting in Bash
- Familiarity with LAN and WAN concepts and configuration, including, switching, routing, firewalls and advanced VPC concepts
- Experience supporting GCP services and CI/CD workflows using any framework
- Demonstrable troubleshooting methodologies and root cause analysis
- Strong background in all things Kubernetes, CI/CD Pipelines and Cloud-native Infrastructure
- Strong understanding of containerisation, CI/CD concepts
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform and/or Amazon Web Services
Nice to haves
- Expertise with Golang
- Expertise automating Kubernetes deployments
- Strong network security fundamentals
- Experience managing and leveraging log aggregation
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment
- Experience in a fast-paced, high-growth startup company
- Expertise in Prometheus and Grafana
- Experience in a Remote-first IT environment
What you can expect from VALR?
- Competitive salary: Get paid well to work in an exciting industry
- Leave: Flexible leave policy with 3 weeks minimum
- Remote work: Work from wherever you like - Employees to ensure that there is secure, stable internet connectivity in order to effectively work remotely
- Home office setup: Mac laptop and a discretionary allowance to buy all the extras needed to work happily from home - all of it yours to keep after 3 years
- Learning fund: R10,000 per employee per year for anything that helps you upskill for work, in addition to scheduled VALR training
- Performance bonus: When you contribute to VALR’s success, you’ll be rewarded with lucrative bonuses
- 3 months maternity and 1-month paternity paid leave
- Regular get-togethers outside of work (COVID permitting)
- Annual company retreats (COVID permitting)